It is natural to feel a sense of anxiety when facing assault charges. The consequences of such a conviction, or even the mere accusation, can severely impact one’s life. Additionally, many may not fully understand what constitutes assault under Texas law. Understandably, a sense of confusion can certainly add to one’s anxiety. Finding a trustworthy advocate, like an experienced Lubbock assault lawyers, can help alleviate some of that fear, and allow you to regain some understanding and control in a complex situation. A skilled criminal defense lawyer is essential help in building a defense to your assault charges.
What Constitutes Assault
If someone is seeking greater insight into the charges they are facing, a Lubbock assault lawyer is very familiar with Texas Penal Code. They can explain to their client, according to Sec.22.01 of Title 5 of the code, what constitutes assault in Lubbock.
Assault may be defined as:
- Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causing bodily injury to another, including the person’s spouse
- Intentionally or knowingly threatening another with imminent bodily injury, including the person’s spouse
- Intentionally or knowingly causing physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative
Possible Outcomes of a Lubbock Assault Conviction
In most instances, a violation of Lubbock assault laws is a Class A misdemeanor in the state of Texas, which may lead to fines of up to $4,000, or one year in jail. While these penalties are not to be taken lightly, the class and subsequent penalties become more severe in certain instances, which include (but are not limited to) assault on a public servant, security officer, or family member, to name a few examples.
These charges may then be elevated to a felony of the third degree, which can carry with them a prison sentence of up to 10 years and/or a $10,000 fine. A simple assault accusation alone, whether true or false, is enough to damage someone’s reputation at the workplace and strain relationships with loved ones. And again, a conviction can have even more serious repercussions.
After an assault charge, obtaining legal representation that may clear a person’s name, or reduce the charges or sentencing, is the first step in rebuilding their life. Being represented by a knowledgeable Lubbock assault attorney, can allow someone to reclaim some control of the narrative.
Contact a Lubbock Assault Attorney Today
An experienced Lubbock assault lawyer can work to establish important factors in your unique case such as:
- Whether or not your alleged actions meet the criteria for assault (and for what class misdemeanor or felony)
- If you are accused of threatening someone, whether that threat caused a reasonable fear of injury for the person acted on
- Whether it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the assault transpired as charged
Answering the above questions may help in reducing or dismissing the charges laid against you. The penalties for an assault charge or conviction stretch far beyond paying a simple fine. They may greatly impact your finances, your personal and professional relationships, and your future.
When facing assault charges, you have not only the right to a fair and capable advocate, you have the responsibility to choose an experienced, knowledgeable Lubbock assault lawyer, one who understands the state and local legal systems. If you wish to speak with such an attorney, and regain some clarity in this difficult situation, contact us today.