Emancipation in Plainview Child Support Cases

Home > Emancipation in Plainview Child Support Cases

It is important to understand that once the court orders child support, that order is going to remain in effect until the court or until certain events terminate that order. In Texas, there are only a few situations where the parent may be allowed to stop paying court-ordered child support. For instance, if there is a mistake in parental duties, the parent may be allowed to stop paying the child support. Contact an experienced child support attorney to learn more about emancipation in Plainview child support cases.

When the Child is not the Parent’s Biological Child

One way that a parent can have their child support payments ended is if the child is not the parent’s biological child. If a person believes the child is not biologically theirs, they could terminate the child support payments by following certain requirements such as filing a petition and attending a hearing. If the judge at the hearing determines that the case meets the specific requirements, then genetic testing could be conducted to confirm whether the parent is the biological parent. The judge may then terminate the child support payments if the child is, in fact, not the parent’s biological child.

How Child Support is Impacted When a Child Turns 18

Emancipation in Plainview child support cases occurs when a child either turns 18 years old or graduates high school, whichever occurs later. Emancipation is a legal term that refers to the moment when a child is released from parental control. Once a child turns 18, they are considered emancipated as a matter of law. If an individual has further questions about the emancipation of their child, contact a well-established family law attorney.

Other Factors that can End Child Support Payments

There are many other events where emancipation could be triggered. For example, if a child were to be married and after emancipation, the child is considered to be independent and is no longer in need of child support payments. Also, disability, death, and adoption of the child are situations that could trigger termination and there are certain circumstances where a parent may have to continue to pay child support even after the child’s 18th birthday. If the child is disabled, then the court could court for child support to continue for an indefinite period.It is imperative that a parent remembers that they must continue providing child support until there is a court order saying that they are no longer obligated to pay child support.

Contacting a Child Support Attorney in Plainview

For more information about emancipation in Plainview child support cases, reach out to a dedicated and knowledgeable lawyer. An attorney could answer your questions and guide you through the process if your situation calls for a termination of child support payments. If you fail to make child support payments when the court has not ordered you to terminate your payments, then you could be facing serious consequences. Therefore, it is essential that you consult with a family attorney who has experience handling emancipation in Plainview child support cases.

Contact Us for a Free Consultation